Thursday, June 12, 2008

Alzheimers could be my friend

As a Buddhist-Catholic, one of my greatest desires is to be living, truly, in the moment and that the moment have some grace. Alas, it’s easier said than done.
There is some inspiration out there for doing just this. Even for being present in accidental ways.

This morning I heard a radio feature on some volunteering done by elders who were Alzheimer’s affected. At a charter school that has a mission to be inter-generational in their educational approach, there is one particular volunteer who spends hundreds of hours helping young children read. She doesn’t remember that she has been there before but she does remember how to help a child sound out a word. Although her memory of words in adult literature has diminished, a children’s book vocabulary is still in her reach.

I am trying this out in my personal life. The complexities of adult relationships sometimes seem overwhelming or painful. Thinking about how my mom’s health might progress or a romance might fade, I’m out of the moment. However, the activities that I did as a child (play, read, ride bikes) are still important to me. And they help me present. Alleluia!

No comments: