Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mixed media

I've been working on art to use as an example for an after school class I'm teaching. The name of the class is SCRAPpy Arts as we're using the mission of SCRAP as our basis: reuse materials that are randomly about for creative purposes. I've been particularly focused on the concept of representational vs. abstract pieces. Thus, I will have to beg the reader's forgiveness if I start getting abstract in this posting.

Yesterday was a great day for our country. My heart was full and hopeful as Barack Obama was sworn in as our new president. At the same time, I was feeling quite sad about the news that Sam Adams, our new mayor in Portland, did in fact have a sexual relationship with a young man that he had previously mentored. My pleasure about the new president was widely held. My disappointment with Sam seems to be my own. Most of the (few) fellow Portlanders I've discussed this with were of a mind that it was to be expected: young, ambitous, gay mayor would have an inclination towards dishonesty to get where he wanted he is. However, it's Sam Adams insecurity that bothers me most. It was his insecurity and his ambition that led him to believe that he would have to keep the truth (bad judgement about a relationship) underwraps. I truly hope that he can ride this out and that it will be a lesson that will serve him well during his political career.

No comments: